Re: st: Renaming variables, bis

From   Neil Shephard <>
Subject   Re: st: Renaming variables, bis
Date   Tue, 12 Apr 2011 11:42:55 +0100

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 11:35 AM, BAIJER Jan 212040 <> wrote:
> It so appears (...) that the intended variable names (first observation of each variable) have spaces inthem, so I would probably be looking to try to eliminate those by "subinstr", but I can't get that to work.
> I have tried several variants of :
> foreach var of varlist _all {
>    local NewVarName = subinstr ("`var'[1]'"," ","_")
>    ren `var' `NewVarName'
> }

Further you've made a fundamental error in understanding how Stata
handles spaces in variable names.

Spaces in variable names are not permitted in Stata, they're
automatically purged and the remaining text concatenated when using
-insheet-.  However, if you're using the suggested -infix- and
dictionary this won't be an issue as you will explicitly define the
variable names within your dictionary.

“Truth in science can be defined as the working hypothesis best suited
to open the way to the next better one.” - Konrad Lorenz

Email -
Website -
Photos -