RE: st: Fixed Effects GLS

Subject   RE: st: Fixed Effects GLS
Date   Tue, 12 Apr 2011 11:28:47 +0100

Andrea,

It is indeed, and not just in Stata.  The FE estimator is, by
definition, a GLS estimator.

I am sure this is discussed in Jeff Wooldridge's book somewhere (there's
a 2010 edition out, by the way), but I don't have it handy and can't
direct you to the right chapter/page.  Another place you might look is
Arellano's 2003 book, "Panel Data Econometrics".  In chapter 2 (I think)
he shows that the FE estimator is the GLS estimator obtained after
applying the first-differencing transformation.

--Mark

> I computed the FE and the
> FEGLS separately in Matlab and it turns out that the
> "conventional" Stata FE is identical to that with error
> v-c matrix equal to an identity matrix (multiplicated for
> sigma_u). But which is the option which tells Stata to
> estimate the v-c matrix in the first step?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Andrea
>
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 00:09:11 +0000
>   "Ada Ma" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Fixed Effects model is a kind of GLS model. Use the basic
> >FE commands and you will be fine.
> >
> > There are user written commands for two way FEs but I
> >can't remember the commands' names, sorry! There are two
> >of them and they r both featured in the Stata Journal,
> >one of the authors for one command is Upward. HTH.
> >

> > Sent using BlackBerry(r)

registered under charity number SC000278.