Re: st: Sample weights: Combining strata estimates to get one overall estimate

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Sample weights: Combining strata estimates to get one overall estimate
Date   Fri, 8 Apr 2011 10:38:13 -0400

Rahul,

Just -svyset- your data with the poststrata() and postweight() options. The following code illustrates this and shows how to do it by hand.

**********CODE BEGINS*********
sysuse auto, clear
gen postwx=2000 if foreign==0 //total pop for Domestic
replace postwx= 1000 if foreign==1 //total pop for Foreign
svyset _n [pw=turn], strata(foreign)
svy: tab foreign, count
// sum of weights: 2155 for Domestic 779 Foreign
svyset _n [pw=turn], strata(foreign) poststrata(foreign) postweight(postwx)
svy: tab foreign, count
// Post-stratification "by hand":
gen new_wt= (2000/2155)*turn if foreign==0
replace new_wt =(1000/779)*turn if foreign==1
svyset _n [pw=new_wt], strata(foreign)
svy: tab foreign, count
**********CODE ENDS*********

The totals used (2000, 1000 here) need not be actual totals, but numbers that are close and maintain the correct proportions. In analysis of 2005-2006 data from India, for example, I used totals from the 2001 Census of India.

Disproportionate stratum sample sizes by themselves will not cause problems. In a survey that samples all stages with PPS, the sum of weights in a stratum is an independent estimate of the stratum's population size.

For a good reference on weighting, see Chapter 8 of Sharon Lohr 2009. Sampling: Design and Analysis. Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks Cole Publishing Company. After you have looked at that, I encourage you to "rake" (post-stratify simultaneously) other factors, such as urban/rural totals, age/gender totals, village size. In Stata you can do this with -survwgt rake-, contained in Nick Winter's -svr- package at SSC.

Steve

Steven J. Samuels
Consulting Statistician
18 Cantine's Island