st: Portuguese characters on Stata for Mac OS.

From   Ronnie Babigumira <rb.glists@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Portuguese characters on Stata for Mac OS.
Date   Tue, 05 Apr 2011 12:47:41 +0200

Dear Statalist members
I am using Stata 11.2 on Mac OS X 10.6.7

The names of the villages in this file http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11433311/s_demo_files/prob_villages.dta display correctly in Stata on a Windows machine however, on my Mac, they look like this http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11433311/s_demo_files/names_on_mac.png.

I was wondering if you anyone knows what I need to do so they can display correctly on the Mac. Specifically, I am producing some plain-text log files with villages names as part of the output so if I can somewhat process those log files so that these characters display correctly, I will be happy with that (I tried iconv in vain).

Many thanks

Ronnie