Re: st: how keep row variables even if they are missing

From   daniel klein <>
Subject   Re: st: how keep row variables even if they are missing
Date   Tue, 5 Apr 2011 09:47:29 +0200

Abu wrote me privately, but I will answer on statlist as suggested here:

The "problem" is neither with -table- nor with any other command or
option. In fact it is not a problem, but exactly what you should
expect Stata to do. The code, that is used basicly reads:

table country hijra_grp, c(sum id sum us sum count), if  hijra>1428

Some countries do not appear in the table, but this is not because
-table- drops (or omits) observations, but because the if condition is
not satisfied for those countries. That is, there is no case in which
hijra > 1428 for those countries in the dataset. Since your are
telling Stata to run the command (-table- in this case) only on cases
that satisfy the if conditon, you do not find the countries in your

I do not know how to change this behaviour nor do I think you want to
change it. Re-think the -if- statement and think of alternative ways
to get the desired statistics.