st: Is there a way and a seed reason to "double" preserve data?

From   Oliver Jones <>
Subject   st: Is there a way and a seed reason to "double" preserve data?
Date   Mon, 04 Apr 2011 18:21:12 +0200

Hi all,

maybe the more important question is the one regarding the speed of
preserve restore vs. save use.
If it makes no difference then I can save my data and use it later.

But if there is a improvement in execution time by using preserve and
restore, then I would like know if there is a way to "double preserve"
my data?

I want to double preserve my data, to be able to make forecasts for
different individuals and then save the forecasts in a mata matrix.

In a two step forval construct I've got something like

*********** Begin example **************
sysuse xtline1, clear
bysort person: gen int t = _n
forval person = 1/3 {
	dis _n "Starting the analysis of Person `person'" _n
	keep if person == `person'
	forval last_T = 360/365 { // here would follow the forecast code
		egen mean_calories = mean(calories)
		keep in L/L
		lacal mean_person_`person'_days_`last_T' =  mean_calories[1]
*********** end example **************

Kind regards

Universität Bielefeld
Fakultät für Wirtschaftswissenschaften
Lehrstuhl für Ökonometrie und Statistik
- - -
Bielefeld University
Faculty of Business Administration and Economics
Chair of Econometrics and Statistics
- - -
Raum / room:  V9-110
Tel / phone:  +49 (0)521 106 4871