Re: st: st: Calculating row average with egen rmean

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: st: Calculating row average with egen rmean
Date   Sun, 3 Apr 2011 00:07:56 +0100

Your posting seems very confused. Your text and your supposed example
are contradictory.

Note first that as from Stata 9 the -egen- function -rmean()- is
undocumented but works as a just a caller for -rowmean()-. If you are
using a version of Stata other than the current version, you are asked
to make that clear in your postings.

I don't know why you think that either function would ignore zeros.
That isn't documented and more importantly that would not be
statistical and it is not what either function does. The code is
accessible to you by

. viewsource _growmean.ado

In terms of your desired goal of using a divisor of 1 for one
non-missing value that is precisely what this function does.

If you regard 0s as equivalent to missings, then fix them accordingly
e.g. using -mvdecode-. Alternatively you could write your own code
that only averages positive values.  Here is an example:

gen myposcount = 0

qui forval j = 1/48 {
      replace myposcount = myposcount + (month`j' > 0 & month`j' < .)
}

egen rowmean = rowtotal(month*)
replace rowmean = cond(myposcount == 0, ., rowmean/myposcount)

Nick