st: spmat

From   Ashley Arnio <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: spmat
Date   Sat, 2 Apr 2011 13:51:46 -0700 (PDT)

 I have a follow up question regarding the creation of a 5-nn matrix using
'spmat'.

I created the matrix and ran the summary statistics. The summary
statistics revealed that a matrix was created in which each of my counties had 5
nearest neighbors. But, when I look at the neighbor list with the following
command,
spmat export nn5 using nn5_list.txt , nlist replace
I notice that some of my counties have 0 neighbors and others have as many as 7.

When I view the weights properties using the following command,
spmat export nn5 using nn5_properties.txt , replace
I can see that each county has five weights listed.

Why are the two lists different and how does Stata create weights for places
without neighbors?

I'd appreciate any advice. I'm very new to the spatial world.

Thank you in advance for your time,
Ashley