Re: st: FW: nested local

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: FW: nested local
Date   Fri, 1 Apr 2011 14:43:37 +0100

des x*, varlist

foreach var of varlist `r(varlist)' {

can easily be contracted to

foreach var of varlist x* {

as the signal that what follows is a varlist is entirely enough to
signal to -foreach- that
x* should be expanded.

Other ways of seeing this:

1. The help for -foreach- has examples with wildcards.

2. If the argument supplied to

foreach ... of varlist ....

could not be expanded on the fly to a list with individual names all
explicit, then there would be less point to the syntax. (Not zero
point, as there is a checking that what you claim to be a varlist is
indeed one such.)

Nick