Re: st: FW: nested local

From   Oliver Jones <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: FW: nested local
Date   Fri, 01 Apr 2011 15:08:18 +0200

Try to start with

forval var_num = 1/5 {
	local var "TR_democr_y_y`var_num'"
	local var_list "`var_list' `var'"
}

and change

foreach var of varlist `var_list' {
}

Dose that help?

Best
Oliver

Am 01.04.2011 14:36, schrieb Francesco Fasani:
Hi,

My question is the following:

I´m trying to run a loop with a local that contains a local and I don´t manage to make it
work. I wrote a simplified version below. Basically, it stops at summarize where instaed of
summarizeng the variable TR_democr_y_y1 (as I would like it to do) it stops and says that
"TR_democr_y_y is an ambiguous abbreviation (because there are five variable called in that
way in my dataset: TR_democr_y_y1 ... TR_democr_y_y5.

local variables TR_democr_y_y`j'

foreach var of local variables {

forvalues j=1(1)5 {

display `j'

di "TR_democr_y_y`j'"

su TR_democr_y_y`j'

su `var'

}

}

I know I coudl just rewrite the loop as I did below and it woudl work. But the loop I am
trying to run is fairly more complex and cannot be written in the version below.

local variables TR_democr_y_y

foreach var of local variables {

forvalues j=1(1)5 {

display `j'

di "TR_democr_y_y`j'"

su TR_democr_y_y`j'

su `var'`j'

}

}

Thanks!

Francesco Fasani

Institute for Economic Analysis (IAE-CSIC) and Barcelona GSE (Graduate School of Economics)

Campus UAB

08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona

Spain

phone: +34 93 592 9779