st: bootstrapping question

From   "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: bootstrapping question
Date   Thu, 31 Mar 2011 22:48:37 +0200 (CEST)

Dear Statalist,

I have a basic question on bootstrapping.

I need to test the hypothesis that a statistic, X, has mean equal to zero.

I can obtain the standard deviation of X, SE, across the bootstrapping
replications. Following the traditional approach, I can use SE as the standard
error of X. And, if I assume that X is asymptotically normally distributed,
X/SE is asymptotically distributed as a standard normal. Accordingly, Stata
computes the z-statistic.

However, if I don’t know the asymptotic distribution of X, how can I compute
the critical values of the test statistic X/SE?

Another question: would it make sense instead to run a t-test on the series of
estimated X obtained with bootstrap?

Thanks  a lot,

Andrea