Re: st: DiD

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: DiD
Date   Tue, 29 Mar 2011 13:35:04 +0100

You seem confused on various levels.

The statement

. gen indicator = year > 2004

would make perfect sense to Stata. 2004 is just a constant, and need
not be present in your dataset as a value for -year-.

That said, creating a indicator for before and after sounds pointless,
as from your account there are just two distinct values in -year-.
That alone does not rule out regression, as regression is not limited
by the number of distinct values of any non-constant predictor:
otherwise using indicator variables of any kind would be invalid.

Nick