Re: st: Re: Transforming Inflation

From   "Clyde Schechter" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: Transforming Inflation
Date   Sat, 26 Mar 2011 08:03:57 -0700

"In estimation, normally we transform our inflation
variable to reduce the influence of extreme observations by the formula:

transformed_inflation=(inflation)/(1+inflation)..."

I'm not really clear what your purpose in reducing the influence of
extreme observations is and how you use the transformed value, so my
suggestion here may not be appropriate for your needs.  But another
convenient function that smoothly and monotonically compresses the real
line to [0,1] is invlogit().  If the target image space is some different
interval, a*invlogit() + b for suitable a and b will do the trick.

Hope this helps.

Clyde Schechter
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Bronx, NY, USA

Please note new e-mail address: [email protected]