Re: Re: st: Popularity of R, SAS, SPSS, Stata, Statistica, S-PLUS updated

From   David Souther <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: Re: st: Popularity of R, SAS, SPSS, Stata, Statistica, S-PLUS updated
Date   Fri, 25 Mar 2011 13:13:35 -0500

As I said, Stata doesn't have some of the big dataset or cloud
capabilities that R does (or will have soon) and Stata doesn't have
some of power-user programming options available in R (or so I've
heard), however, you say that because Stata doesn't do one task (open
your large data) it's '' not user-friendly '' (really you say this as
a way to twist my words).
So, let's define this more carefully.  User-friendly means that the
user interface/GUI, syntax, and so on are easy to use and learn--much
easier than R.  I never argued that Stata is more capable of handling
large datasets, it clearly is not in your case, however I did argue
that the percentage of Stata users or potential users that have those
big-data needs are so small that it may not make much economic sense
to Stata to invest in reconfiguring their licensing and software to
capture such a small market of users that are likely to want to stick
with big-data packages that are already out there, nor does it make
sense for a lot of researchers to pursue a cloud option due to the
technical knowledge required and the problems with loading
confidential data on a cloud.
  Now, I certainly wouldn't argue against StataCorp doing some things
to make it easier to run data bigger than my physical RAM (and not in
virtual memory), but if its at the cost of Stata focusing on that
rather than adding other features to Stata, then I choose to have a
better functioning software that satisfies the needs of the 95% or
more of us that don't have big datasets.