Re: st: Popularity of R, SAS, SPSS, Stata, Statistica, S-PLUS updated

From   Christopher Baum <[email protected]>
To   "Muenchen, Robert A (Bob)" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Popularity of R, SAS, SPSS, Stata, Statistica, S-PLUS updated
Date   Fri, 25 Mar 2011 10:17:04 -0400

Hi Bob,

Those stats are only available monthly. The stats accessed by -ssc hot- within Stata are available quite a bit farther back, but they are not counts of raw downloads. In any case what is being counted on report.ssc.html is the download of individual files. Many packages (the equivalent of R packages) contain a number of files (all contain at least 2, but some contain many more). Thus the stats accessible within Stata are counts of package downloads,not file downloads. See my posting near the beginning of each month (except this month, when it was later) on SSC Activity for the top 25 package counts.

I can count how many packages are on SSC (1,407 at this moment) but I do not know how many are on STB/SJ, UCLA, etc. In any case such counts are overlapping, as often a package shows up first on SSC, then appears in the SJ, then is updated on SSC (and possibly on SJ). So there is some amount of duplication between SSC and SJ/STB. In some cases packages on SSC become redundant for users of the latest version of Stata, as it may contain an official command with that functionality. But I would say the vast majority of public Stata packages are either in SSC and/or STB/SJ archives.

Cheers
Kit

Research Papers in Economics (RePEc)
http://repec.org