st: -constraint define- syntax for constraining sum of coefficients to zero.

From   Sam Brilleman <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: -constraint define- syntax for constraining sum of coefficients to zero.
Date   Fri, 25 Mar 2011 11:56:13 +0000

Hi,

I'm having trouble finding any documentation on how to add a simple constraint for the fixed effect parameters of one categorical variable in a GLM model. My model estimation command is:

glm totalcost_modelfit i.practiceid i.age_cat i.gender i.imd_decile i.QOF_MMscore_trunc6, exposure(daysdata) link(log) family(gamma) eform

and I wish to constrain the sum of the 182 coefficients on the variable i.practiceid to zero (rather than having the coefficient on the reference category constrained to zero). What is the syntax needed for the -constraint define- command?

Any help appreciated!
Thanks,
Sam.