Re: st: R-squared measures proposed by Cameron and Windmeijer (1996) in stata

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: R-squared measures proposed by Cameron and Windmeijer (1996) in stata
Date   Fri, 25 Mar 2011 09:21:35 +0000

I'll take (2).

You need to think about what it would mean in your field to have
perfect predictions. It means that the data provide a complete
description _and_ the model captures the generating process exactly.
Or it would mean that you were using a model with too many parameters.
In most observational fields even large datasets provide only partial
data and the model is at best a caricature of the underlying process.

Imagine for example that the response variable was the number of
children born so far to a set of women. We can get variables like age,
occupation, religious affiliation, etc. that may have a variety of
direct or more likely indirect effects on the response, but it seems
likely that there will always be a lot of unexplained variation
arising from individual details.

Literature in your field will tell you what kind of fit is considered
strong enough to be publishable.

Nick