Re: st: xtreg: double format and memory issues

From   Enrico Cavale <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: xtreg: double format and memory issues
Date   Thu, 24 Mar 2011 21:35:24 +0100

Xtreg, at least in the way I use it and I reported here, takes out the
means for the individual_by_year, but introduce 720 dummy variables
for day FE. That suggests that we need something like 550000
observations*720 day FE* 8 bytes = 3,186 megabytes + 550,000
observations*13 variables*8 bytes .= 6.6 megabyte. More or less 3200
megabytes, but I can allocate only 2900 mb.

I use 8 bytes because I consider that the function regress and xtreg
generates doubles and not floats. Indeed, if they were floats, and
then 4 bytes, I would have half the memory requirements and I would be
able to estimate my model.

Enrico