Re: st: Speed with large panel datasets

From   Gordon Hughes <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Speed with large panel datasets
Date   Mon, 21 Mar 2011 15:04:52 +0000

Ah, but the help file says:

"clear specifies that it is okay to replace the data in memory, even though the current data have not been saved to disk."

In my example (and my live test) I had saved the current data to disk. So it seems that Stata is failing to recognise that this has been done or the help information ought to omit the final sub-clause

Gordon

================

-- On Mon, 21/3/11, Gordon Hughes wrote:
> So, my test was:
>
> use xxx.dta, clear
> tsset panel time, monthly
> <various Stata commands to create variables>
> save temp.dta, replace
> statsby _b _se, basepop(panel==1) by panel: arima ....
>
> Stata's response
>
> no; data in memory would be lost
> r(4);

<snip> what is the logic, given that I have already used -save-?

-statsby- throws away the data that is currently in memory, and
it won't let you do something that dramatic unless you explicitly
tell it so by specifying the -clear- option.

-- Maarten