RE: st: Returning stata users wish list

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Returning stata users wish list
Date   Fri, 18 Mar 2011 16:35:27 +0000

I think I see what you want. Two comments spring to mind:

1. You could automate this by writing your own wrappers. Some things would need to be saved in different form as e.g. characteristics, unless and until Stata changes its mind about what goes in a dataset.

2. The main idea at present is that -save- or -save, replace- is a moderately big deal, especially for big datasets. Thus you can do lots of little changes to your data but if you want to save them immediately to the .dta then indeed you must -save- them immediately.

That's not a request I've often heard, but, as has often been written, that doesn't stop StataCorp implementing it.

Steinar Fossedal

I meant a .dta file.

-Steinar