st: R: Logarithmic transformation in psm results

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: R: Logarithmic transformation in psm results
Date   Thu, 17 Mar 2011 12:14:01 +0100

Sergio wrote:
"... using the original variable expressed in monetary units the value
corresponding to treated and controls not coincide with the transformed
values of the results in logarithms".

Without other details, and provided that your problem concerns
transformation from the log scale only, the first advice is to check that,
when back transforming to the original metric (I would assume that it is
arithmetic),the sample mean is actually obtained via the following formula:

arithmetic mean=exp(ln_mean+ln_variance/2)

where:

ln_mean is the mean on the log scale;
ln_variance is the variance on the log scale.

Kindest Regards,
Carlo