st: y-standardisation in logistic multilevel models with gllamm

From   Tina Schmid <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: y-standardisation in logistic multilevel models with gllamm
Date   Wed, 16 Mar 2011 08:31:26 +0100

Dear all

When comparing coefficient X1 in binary logistic regression across models (same sample, but different covariates), y standardization of the coefficient is required (see for example Mood 2010, Logistic Regression: Why we cannot do what we think we can do, and what we can do about it, ESR, 26 (1), 67-82). So far, so good. Now we want to compare a coefficient X1 across binary logistic multilevel models using gllamm, e.g. model A with y x1, whereby x1 is a covariate on the lowest level, model B with y x1 x2 x3, whereby x2 and x3 are measured on the lowest level (x2) and the second level (x3).

We are somewhat puzzled how to do the y-standardisation in a multilevel model. Is it possible to y-standardise the regression coeffiecients in gllamm and how can we do it?
Can we use the standard deviation of y* on the lowest level only?

And, imaginge we want to compare a coefficient from the second level covariate across models, e.g. model A with y x2, whereby x2 is a covariate on the second level, model B with y x1 x2 x3, whereby x1 and x3 are measured on the lowest level (x1) and the second level (x3). Can we use the standard deviation of y* (lowest level) or do we have to calculate a second level standard deviation of y*? (In case: how can we do it?).

We appreciate any comments.

Thanks a lot in advance

Tina Schmid and Klaus Haberkern

--