st: Marginal effects after censored regression model

From   "Andreas Drichoutis" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Marginal effects after censored regression model
Date   Tue, 8 Mar 2011 15:26:56 +0200

Dear all,

I'm comparing marginal effects from a censored regression model between
Stata and Limdep. Limdep reports ∂ E[y | X]/ ∂ X as marginal effects. It
is funny that Limdep's estimates coincide with "mfx,
predict(ystar(lower,upper))" which is ∂ E(y*|a<y<b) / ∂ X. However, these
conditional means are not the same since:
E[y|x]=Lower*Prob(<=lower) + Upper*Prob(>=upper)+
[Prob(<=upper)-Prob(<=lower)]*E[y*|lower<=y<=upper]
Therefore, the conditional mean derivatives should not coincide. Stata
should report the last term of the above expression which is different from
the left hand side. I've replicated the estimate of Stata "by hand" using
nlcom and it actually reports ∂ E[y | X]/ ∂ X while it says it reports ∂
E(y*|a<y<b) / ∂ X.

Am I missing something here? Where is the catch?

Best,
Andreas Drichoutis