Re: st: Re: Why main effects are significant but interction term is not signficant

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: Why main effects are significant but interction term is not signficant
Date   Tue, 8 Mar 2011 12:40:43 +0000

You need to show us detailed results, because unless you feel bound to
jump one way or the other just because P is above or below some
critical level, you do have choices, and your choices will depend on
more than you are telling us.

1. If you think there should be or could be an interaction, you can
still estimate its magnitude.
If P were just greater than 0.05, many researchers would keep it in
and flag caution.

2. It may be that there is an interaction, but you need something more
subtle to catch it. You should be plotting data and results to check
for structure you have missed. Should income be modelled on some other
scale? What is educational level: years of schooling? Should it be
left as is or are there threshold or nonlinear effects for college
degrees?

On a small point, I'd advise against saying OLS when you mean
regression. The model is more important than the estimation method.
(You would not say, I imagine, that you used OLS when you present a
mean or anova.)