RE: st: Dynamic Panel Data

From   DE SOUZA Eric <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Dynamic Panel Data
Date   Sun, 6 Mar 2011 12:31:34 +0100

First, let's ignore the fact that your data are five year averages, and consider them as successive time periods. In this case, the introduction of a lagged value of the dependent variable as regressor makes FE, RE and FD inconsistent because the lagged dependent variable, when transformed in order to apply the above methods are correlated with the residuals. You, therefore, have to use instrumental variables. LDV, because it is identical in effects to FE, has the same problem. Stata has a dynamic panel data routine but I have never used it. What I use is -xtabond2- written by David Roodman and which can be downloaded using -ssc install xtabond2- . The method is not simple and would require some reading up on your part. But if you Google, you will find quite a lot of course notes explaining it. You also have the paper by David Roodman himself, but I personally do not recommend it for beginners. If you wish to use the built-in Stata commands , they are -xtabond- and -xtdpdsys!
 - .

You can find an excellent introduction by Stephen Bond here:
http://cemmap.ifs.org.uk/wps/cwp0209.pdf

You can also find a set of lecture notes here:
http://www.nuff.ox.ac.uk/users/bond/
under CEMFI summer school

A good discussion of panel data models can be found in chapters 10 and 11 of J. Wooldridge, Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data, second edition, 2010

Does the fact that you use five averages affect the results? I cannot answer that. May be Jeffrey Wooldridge may intervene here.

Eric de Souza
College of Europe
Brugge (Bruges), Belgium
http://www.coleurope.eu