RE: Interpretation RESET-Test: Problems with different test options

From   "Wooldridge, Jeffrey" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: Interpretation RESET-Test: Problems with different test options
Date   Fri, 4 Mar 2011 11:45:21 -0500

Properly using RESET can be tricky. I have argued in a paper,

"Score Diagnostics for Linear Models Estimated by Two Stage Least
Squares," in Advances in Econometrics and Quantitative Economics.  G.S.
Maddala, P.C.B. Phillips, and T.N. Srinivasan (eds.), 66-87.  Oxford:
Blackwell, 1995,

that RESET is purely a functional form test. It should not be expected
to have systematic power for omitted variables or for detecting
heteroskedasticity. (A test for heteroskedasticity only makes sense
using squared residuals, not the residuals themselves, which is what
RESET uses.)

The argument is simple. Suppose E(y|x,z) = b0 + b1x + b2z and also
E(z|x) is linear in x. Then E(y|x) is linear in x -- and, of course, the
estimator is generally inconsistent for b1. That E(y|x) is linear in x
means no other functions of x will matter. So RESET will fail to reject
(more precisely, have power equal to size, asymptotically).

That using polynomials in fitted values leads to a rejection whereas
polynomials in the xj themselves is not surprising. They are different
functions of the explanatory variables, and often the first choice
conserves on degrees of freedom. Note that the squared fitted value, (b0
+ xi*b1)^2 includes interactions as well as squares of all variables.

The fact that adding another variable causes RESET to reject is also
easily explained. For example, suppose

E(y|x,z) = b0 + b1*x + b2*z + b3*z^2

If b3 != 0 and you regress y on x, z then RESET should reject because
the linear functional form is incorrect. But suppose z and x are
independent. Then E(y|x) is linear and RESET will not reject.

I hope this helps.

JMW

Jeffrey M. Wooldridge
University Distinguished Professor