Re: st: "cmp" command and rho LR test statistic for SUR bivariate probit model

From   David Quinn <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: "cmp" command and rho LR test statistic for SUR bivariate probit model
Date   Thu, 3 Mar 2011 15:51:34 -0500

Maarten,

Thanks so much for the assistance and insight on this, it has been very helpful.

I have three quick follow-up questions, using the example that you
applied to -cmp- in your message to me.  I just want to make sure I'm
understanding/interpreting the process correctly.

1.) The first question is in regards to the command: -constraint 1
[atanhrho_12]_cons = `=atanh(0)'-.  When you run -cmp-, it reports the
value of atanhrho_12 as -.0886333 (and this is the Fisher's z
transformed correlation), and the value of rho_12 as -.088402.  So,
what you are doing with the -constraint- command is telling to STATA
to set atanhrho_12 to a specific value when running the model?  If so,
does the value "0" that is in parentheses in your example represent
the value of rho_12 (i.e., -.088402)?  Am I understanding that
correctly?

2.) The second question is in regards to the command: -est store a-
and -est store b-. What exactly are these doing?  I think this is
where I'm getting a bit confused.

3.) To answer the third question, perhaps I first need to understand
what is going on with the second question.  But regardless, I'm not
clear exactly what the likelihood-ratio test at the end is testing.
What are you comparing with "a" and "b"?

Sorry if I am a bit confused, particularly with regard to the last two
questions.  I think I understand everything else, though.

Any insight you have would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks,,
--David