st: Silverman test

From   Alfonso Miranda <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Silverman test
Date   Thu, 3 Mar 2011 18:21:19 +0000

Dear Statalisters,

I need to determine whether the residuals from a (poisson) regression are
unimodal or multimodal. I thought of using a Silverman test. Sometime ago
(2004) Nick Cox and Stephen Pollard exchanged a message in Statalist about
the Silverman test (see below). Nick suggested:

> 3. Ignore -silvtest- and do this directly with
> -bootstrap- and -kdensity-.
>
> The last would seem by far the easiest. A program
> of the order of 10 lines long would appear to be
> needed to produce the mode count.

I am trying myself to implement this last strategy. Before I go on, however,
I wonder whether:

1. Has Nick or somebody else already implemented this?

2. I am not sure how to count the number of modes after fitting the
kdensity, will you give me some ideas on how to do this?

3. The critical bandwidth h_m is the smallest possible bandwidth h that
produces a kernel density with, at most, m modes. So, finding the critical
bandwidth implies searching for a range of bandwidths and determining the
number of modes. I do not have indication, however, what range of bandwidths
I should start my search with or when declaring that I found the `smallest
possible bandwidth'. Any ideas on how to do this?

Best wishes,

Alfonso

Dr. Alfonso Miranda
Lecturer in Quantitative Social Science

Institute of Education, University of London.
20 Bedford Way, London WC1H 0AL, UK.
Tel. +44 (0) 020 7331 5105
E-mail: [email protected]