st: RE: ivreg2 and weak instruments

Subject   st: RE: ivreg2 and weak instruments
Date   Thu, 3 Mar 2011 17:26:00 -0000

Alice,

As far as I know, no.

As I understand it, the problem is a tricky one because the robustness
of the K-P statistic to violations of homoskedasticity has a
large-sample justification.  How it behaves on the way to infinity will
depend on the nature of the heteroskedasticity (or autocorrelation, or
whatever).  I think that's why one-size-fits-all critical values for the
K-P stat like those Stock & Yogo derived for the unrobust Cragg-Donald
statistic can't be (or can't be easily?) derived.

We added K-P to ivreg2 anyway because (a) we thought one-size-fits-all
critical values were better than nothing, (b) the K-P statistic for
underidentification (as opposed to weak identification) has a
straightforward asymptotic justification and is perfectly OK, (c) a big
difference between a robust K-P statistic and the unrobust C-D statistic
is a signal to users that using the latter might not be a good idea, and
(d) Jeff Wooldridge had recommended somewhere (sorry, I can't remember
the cite) using a robust first-stage F-stat if heteroskedasticity was
suspected, and the K-P statistic is a generalization of a robust
first-stage F stat to the case of more than one endogenous regress.

Cheers,
Mark

> Many thanks.
>
> Best wishes, Alice.

registered under charity number SC000278.