RE: st: RE: questions about Fixed Effect models

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: questions about Fixed Effect models
Date   Thu, 3 Mar 2011 08:50:33 -0800

This sort of an email address is inappropriate since we have no way of knowing who sent it.  Please use a real name for this list.

Tony

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97330
Phone: 541-737-3832
FAX: 541-737-4001

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Stata Email
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2011 8:41 AM
To: [email protected]
Cc: Wooldridge, Jeffrey
Subject: Re: st: RE: questions about Fixed Effect models

Dear Jeff and Austin,

Thanks for your comments, they were really insightful.

I tried the specification Jeff mentioned. My question now is: after
estimating the model with and without the dummies for teachers, I have
to "predict newvar, residuals" and after that compare the variance of
such residuals (for both models). Is that correct? The smaller the
variance of the residuals in the model with teacher dummies (compared
with the variance in the model without dummies), more important is the
teacher effect, is that correct?

In fact, I have tried the model with dummies before (but without
clustering the students). But I was having problems because:
- I had too many teachers in my sample
- I want to interact the teachers dummies with another four dummies
(that differentiate students according to their previous proficiency
level) - this is the main purpose of the paper,  I want to analyze to
what extent these "teacher effects" are different for different kind
of students

Since I was not being able to estimate the way described above, I
separated my regressions for 4 groups of students (based on their
position at the proficiency distribution in t-1) and I estimated using
the xtreg with teacher fixed effect.

But I believe that what Jeff proposed may help me to interpret the results.

Jeff, if you could send me the paper you are working about VAM, I
would really appreciate

Thanks again for your help
P.