Re: st: Interesting and free book on graphical statistical methods

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Interesting and free book on graphical statistical methods
Date   Thu, 3 Mar 2011 09:43:34 +0000

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 9:32 AM, Ronan Conroy <[email protected]> wrote:

> Graphical Statistical Methods for the Representation of the Human Development Index and its Components
>
> From the description:
>
> “….In this paper we introduce five graphical statistical methods to compare countries level of development relative to other countries and across time. For this, we use seven panels of data on the Human Development Index and its components, containing information on more than 100 countries for more than 35 years.
>
> We create visual comparisons of the level of development of countries relative to each other, and across time, through five different visualization techniques:
> (i) Rankings
> (ii) Values
> (iii) Distributions
> (iv) Visual metaphors (The Development Tree), and
> (v) Networks, by introducing the concepts of Partial Ordering Networks (PON) and Development Reference Groups (DRG).
>
> The book also contains some well chosen historical illustrations which many of us may have seen before, but which are still classics. The author makes valliant attempts to disentangle human development index data for many countries, but the results, to my mind, still look too much like demented spaghetti. Perhaps the sheet task of representing changes in so many countries simultaneously is beyond human perception.
>
> Interested to hear what others think.

Presumably this?

http://hdr.undp.org/en/reports/global/hdr2010/papers/HDRP_2010_39.pdf

Neil

--
“Truth in science can be defined as the working hypothesis best suited
to open the way to the next better one.” - Konrad Lorenz

Email - [email protected]
Website - http://kimura.no-ip.org/