re:Re: st: NEW MODULE: wbdata - World Bank Data Bases

From   Christopher Baum <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   re:Re: st: NEW MODULE: wbdata - World Bank Data Bases
Date   Thu, 3 Feb 2011 17:22:06 -0500

<>
Austin said

Note that -wbdata- is a program described at

http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.html?articlenum=st0115

and this hit is turned up by -findit wbdata-
but wbdta turns up no hits on -findit- so consider renaming the program.

Does your package refer to

http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/_/_pecats.ado

or a newer file?

findit _pecats
turns up a lot of hits, so I hope SSC authors are not overwriting each
others' work.

As has been pointed out, _pecats is described in JP's helpfile for wbdata as a Long and Freese module. He has included
it in several other routines on SSC, with acknowledgement. That's why there was already a _pecats.ado on SSC (although
Long and Freese software is not generally available from SSC).

I was unaware of the name conflict because the material referenced above from the SJ was never on SSC. It is JP's call as to whether he should rename his routine. Obviously there can only be one ado-file of a given name on SSC, but that does not prevent name reuse between STB, SJ, SSC and user-provided archives. There is the issue of 'who got there first', but then I had a routine on SSC for some time, only to find a routine with the same name appearing in a new issue of the SJ...

Kit