Re: st: comparing nested models

Subject   Re: st: comparing nested models
Date   Thu, 3 Feb 2011 11:59:51 -0500

Neil Shephard <[email protected]> :
You would certainly not get a better fit by specifying
. reg wage age
instead of
. reg wage i.age
but then one must balance parsimony against parametric assumptions.
Note also that you can test your parametric assumptions, but that is
related to what the poster was asking:

sysuse nlsw88, clear
reg wage age i.age
test 35.age 36.age 37.age 38.age 39.age 40.age 41.age 42.age 43.age
44.age 45.age
reg wage c.age##c.age##c.age
test c.age#c.age c.age#c.age#c.age

Most would assume log wages are a quadratic or higher order polynomial
function of age without much theoretical justification (google "Mincer
wage equation" for discussion), but note that age is categorical in
every dataset already...  Though I suppose it could be measured with
millisecond precision as of Stata 10.