Re: st: RE: Critique on comment syntax and suggestions

From   Nick Winter <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Critique on comment syntax and suggestions
Date   Fri, 28 Jan 2011 16:10:59 -0500

Two points:

First: The command *is* part of the comment, as far as Stata is concerned, because (1) the delimiter is ";", and (2) there is no ";" on the prior line. That one does not intend it to be part of the comment does not change the fact that by Stata's consistent rules, it is in fact part of the comment.

Second, The question is why the syntax highlighting does not color it as a comment. Here I think things are a bit more complicated. If a .do file explicitly sets the delimiter to ; and then later sets it back to cr (carriage return), then the syntax highlighting function could, in theory, track that and highlight comments accordingly.

However, a user can set the delimiter outside the do file. In this case, the delimiter for a Stata session might be ; even though the do file makes no mention of #delimit. In this case the syntax highlighting function would have no way to know what the delimiter is (or would need even more complex logic to check the current state of the delimiter at any given moment.)

That the delimiter can change seems like it presents a fundamental ambiguity for syntax highlighting.

Nick winter