Re: st: Beta distribution

Subject   Re: st: Beta distribution
Date   Thu, 27 Jan 2011 21:58:33 -0600

Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_distribution)
contains all the necessary bits and pieces. You can characterize the
distribution with the range locals `a' and `b', the mean local `mu',
and the shape local `shape':

* standardized mean
local stdmean = (`mu'-`a')/(`b'-`a')
assert `stdmean' >= 0 & `stdmean' <= 1
* if the `shape' local is the alpha parameter,
* then the other shape parameter is found from the mean:
local shape2 = `shape'*(1-`stdmean')/`stdmean'
generate mybeta = `a' + `b'*rbeta(`shape',`shape2')

You would still be somewhat limited with the shapes as you only have
one free parameter of your distribution. For more weird distribution
functions, you can entertain the mixtures of the above betas with
different shapes.