st: creating new variables

From   Debs Majumdar <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: creating new variables
Date   Thu, 27 Jan 2011 15:33:13 -0800 (PST)

Hi Statalisters,

     I would appreciate if someone can give me a simple solution to my question.

I have 500 participants and 20 items in my dataset.
r1-r10 are items which were shown before (present in original list) and w1-w10
are items that were not in the original list. A word is spoken at a time and the
participant is asked to recall if the word was present in the original list
(1=Yes and 0=No).

I would like to create two variables: Hits and Misses depending on endorsement
of the participants i.e. I need to go through each participant and calculate how
many hits (items that have been seen before that were endorsed as having been
seen before) were obtained and how many misses (items that have not been seen
before that were endorsed as having been seen before).

Thanks,

 Debs