st: Re: group classification

From   Jurgen Sidgman <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: group classification
Date   Thu, 27 Jan 2011 16:59:34 -0600

> Eric,

Thank you much for that code. However, your code has the same problem that mine has (although your is much much nicer).
Looking at your companies and transactions, GM has three observations:
nov 1, 2006
jun 11, 2007
dec 21, 2007

Your code looks at the data and categorizes the transaction in nov and dec with a 1. However, it fails to recognize that june although outside the nov-apr period still needs to be coded with a 1. If not, when I create the category of companies without transactions in the previous 6 months (beginning on April and searching backwards), I will place GM in both categories. The category without transactions (zero) should hold companies that only have transactions between may and october. A company coded with a 1 can have transactions at any time during a year if at least one transaction exist between november of the previous year and april of the current year. Of course the process is rebalanced every year.

For example:
At the end of april of 2007 GM will be coded 1 because of the transaction it has on nov. 2006
At the end of april of 2008 GM will be coded 1 again because of the transaction it has on dec. 2007

As long as these two transactions exist, other transactions within these periods are irrelevant for classification purposes.

On the other hand, let's say that GM executes 6 transactions in 2005. One for each month between may and october.
At the end of april of 2006 GM will be coded 0, assuming it has no transactions between nov. 01, 2005 and apr. 30, 2006.

Sorry if I did not explain well myself before.

Thanks a lot!

Jurgen