Re: st: model equation multilevel xtmixed

From   Leslie Roche <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: model equation multilevel xtmixed
Date   Mon, 24 Jan 2011 12:25:22 -0800

Hi Hanna,
As a cautionary note, we don't know what your data structure is or
what the individual variables mean, so we can't really comment on
whether this analysis approach is appropriate or not.

That said, using the notation of Rabe-Hesketh and Skrondal, I came up with:

Yijk = β1 + β2χijk +...+ ζ1ij(2) +  ζ2j(3)  + ζ3ij(2)χijk + εijk

where,
ζ1ij(2) is the cow by herd(=farm) interaction (cow nested within herd)
ζ2j(3) is the random intercept for herd (=farm)
ζ3jk(2)χijk is the cow specific random slope term for χ
εijk is random variable representing deviation of observation k on cow
i in herd j.

The notation is a little awkward because of the complexity of the
model (nested random intercepts and a intercept x slope interaction).
The (2) and (3) denote the nested levels, and the ζ1, ζ2, and ζ3
denote the different random effects. I believe Pinheiro and Bates
(2000) do not use the (2) and (3) designations at all.

Hope this helps,
Leslie