st: RE: use dummy variable for nonmissing data

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: use dummy variable for nonmissing data
Date   Fri, 14 Jan 2011 16:00:03 +0000

This is just part of the default behaviour. Stata can't do anything statistical if values are missing and it ignores such observations. What do you think it could possibly do with them?

Rainald Borck

I have survey data for individuals from several countries and years like this

id country year var1 var2
1 A 1900 1 2
200 B 1900 3 .

I have created country_year dummies using
xi i.country*i.year, noomit

Now I want to tell Stata to temporarily drop (or not use) the variable _IcouXyea_country_year if that country does not have observations for that year (i.e. the variable is missing for all individuals from that country and particular year). Can anyone help?