st: st: Re: st: Re: st: generating variables for group members conditional on member's own values and values for other group members‏

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: st: Re: st: Re: st: generating variables for group members conditional on member's own values and values for other group members‏
Date   Tue, 11 Jan 2011 11:05:20 +0100

Thanks again, Eric.
Your input really helped med along and I am grateful.

Regarding your suggestion to reshape to wide at some points during the analysis, did you have any specific issues in mind?

Sincerely,

Erik Aadland.

-----Forwarded by Erik Aadland/people/BISTIFT on 01/11/2011 10:59AM -----

To: <[email protected]>
From: Eric Booth <[email protected]>
Sent by: [email protected]
Date: 01/10/2011 05:07PM
Subject: st: Re: st: Re: st: generating variables for group members conditional on member's own values and values for other group members&#8207;

<>

I think this is what you are asking for:

***added to end of prev example-->
bys project_id: egen x2_new = max(x2)
replace x2_new = . if x2==org_new
***

The distinction of orgs i & j for questions like these becomes muddled because as you loop over the observations, every org is at some point i or j within each project_id.  During your analysis, you may find it useful to, at some points, reshape your data to wide to help work across orgs in a project.

- Eric
__
Eric A. Booth
Public Policy Research Institute