Re: st: Mata not computing eigenvectors/values

From   Zachary Neal <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Mata not computing eigenvectors/values
Date   Mon, 10 Jan 2011 14:28:04 -0500

Steven,

Yes, using Matthew's commands I am able to get the correct values.
But, symeigensystem still doesn't work, even after reinstalling and
after trying it on a different machine.

I suppose I'll get in touch with support.

Thanks for your help,
Zachary

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Steven Samuels <[email protected]> wrote:
> Zachary
>
> What happens if you run Mathew's Mata commands (below)?.  All three Mata
> versions and your Stata matrix commands produce the same values for me.  In
> any case, perhaps there is something wrong with your Mata installation.  Try
> re-installing Stata and bringing it up to date. If that doesn't work, I
> suggest that you contact support.
>
> Steve
>
> **********
> eigensystem(A,X=.,L=.)
> L'
> lefteigensystem(A,Y=.,M=.)
> ***********
>
> I would bet there
> On Jan 10, 2011, at 1:39 PM, Zachary Neal wrote:
>
> Sorry, that was a careless typo in my original message.  Steven is
> right, it should have read:
>
> symeigensystem(A,eigenvector,eigenvalue)
>
> However, even with that correction, the outputs - eigenvector and
> eigenvalue - are empty.
>
> In contrast, if I attempt the same thing in stata, using:
> matrix A = (0,0,0,0,0,1,0,1,0,0,0,0,0 \ ///
>   0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,1,0,0,0 \ ///
>   0,0,0,1,0,1,1,0,1,0,1,1,1 \ ///
>   0,0,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0 \ ///
>   0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0 \ ///
>   1,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,0 \ ///
>   0,0,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 \ ///
>   1,1,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 \ ///
>   0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 \ ///
>   0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 \ ///
>   0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 \ ///
>   0,0,1,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 \ ///
>   0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0)
> matrix symeigen eigenvectors eigenvalues = A
> matrix list eigenvectors
> matrix list eigenvalues
>
> I am able to get the correct eigenvectors/values.
>
> I'm still not sure why this seems to work in stata, but not in mata.
>
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>>
>> -
>> Zachary's code works for me if I substitute "A" for "network" in the
>> -symeigensytem()- command:
>>
>> symeigensystem(A,eigenvector,eigenvalue)
>>

>> Steve
>> Stata 11,1 OS X 10.5.8
>>
>> On Jan 9, 2011, at 9:22 PM, Matthew J Baker wrote:
>>
>> While I am not sure about why the symeigensystem command isn't working,
>> the
>> problem might have something to do with the "A" matrix being rank
>> deficient.
>> In any case, I find that the commands:
>>
>> eigensystem(A,X=.,L=.)
>>
>> and
>>
>> lefteigensystem(A,Y=.,M=.)
>>
>> both generate values for eigenvalues and eigenvectors for the
>> aforementioned
>> A matrix (collected in X and L, and Y and M, respectively).
>>
>> Matt Baker

>>> eigenvalue = 0
>>> symeigensystem(network,eigenvector,eigenvalue)
>>> eigenvector
>>> eigenvalue
>>> end
>>>
>>> --