re: st: Multiple nonlinear equations regression with categorical variables

From   Christopher Baum <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   re: st: Multiple nonlinear equations regression with categorical variables
Date   Tue, 4 Jan 2011 14:59:02 -0500

<>
I have one dependent variable (continuous) that I would like to explain
with five independent variables. Four of them are continuous and one is
categorical. I am looking for a model that would allow me to fit
different
 nonlinear (exponential, logarithmic) as well as linear equations to
each of the continuous independent variables. I am also interested in
testing some of
 the interaction terms in the same model, most notably between the
categorical and the continuous independent variables. Is there a Stata
command that
would allow me to do this? Ideally, the model would also provide some
indication of which main and interaction terms should be included for
greatest parsimony.

You can readily fit such models with Stata's regress command. You need merely transform the independent variables as you wish and then estimate the linear regression. These are not 'nonlinear equations', that is, not nonlinear in the parameters, so standard regression will suffice.

Stata 11's support for factor variables (categorical variables) and interactions between them and continuous variables makes it much easier to estimate such interaction models, and test for the significance of interactions, than in earlier versions of Stata.

Kit