Antwort: RE: st: why reg3 dropped constant term ?

From   Justina Fischer <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Antwort: RE: st: why reg3 dropped constant term ?
Date   Sun, 2 Jan 2011 20:07:53 +0100

Hi,,

as one of the previous respondets said, your problem arises because of the dependent variable, which is a first difference, estimated with the full sample (in terms of time dimension). By using the first difference, you are, in a sense 'loosing one year' for which no difference can be calculated any more (the year 2008, as you have no 2009).

You avoid this problem by 1) using a time trend, which is a continuous variable. Thus, it is not collinear with the 'superfluous' time dummy of 2008/the constant.
by 2) estimating for a subsample for which the succedding year is availabe, e.g. for 2001- 2005, with data for 2006 available, so that the first difference 2005-2006 can be caculated.

Hope this helps

Justina

[email protected] schrieb: -----

An: statalist-for help STATA <[email protected]>
Von: KAMAL MANJU <[email protected]>
Gesendet von: [email protected]
Datum: 02.01.2011 05:00PM
Thema: RE: st: why reg3 dropped constant term ?

Thank you all for the replies,

I will try the estimation methods you suggested the (2sls and Ivregress) and will share the result.

For you first clarification about the year dummies, Yes, I have excluded y_1 =2000 as usually recommended in dummy variable coding.
I have 8years( 2000-2007) I code them as y_1 =2000 , y_2=2001 ...y_8=2007. In regression I excluded y_1 as base year.

For your last question, regarding my use of the first difference d.cbf and d.rwar. I have the following additional question:

I originally coded the time variable (time trend) as yid (y=year, id= Identifier). In my model when I used this Id= yid as the time or trend variable the constant term is included in reg3 output (not dropped), but when I code the yid as individual year dummies and included the full year dummies -1year (I mean I excluded y_1, and included the remaining y_2 to y_8 in the model) then reg3 will dropped the constant term (with the full 8year-1year dummies).

Note also that when I use only 4years then the constant term is not dropped in the model ( I mean when I split my 8year sample period into 2 4years sub-sample e,g when I use y_2, y_3,y_4, y_5 in this case the constant term is not dropped from reg3 output).

My question is: if there is a collinearity in my model is it between the year dummies and the constant term or with my other variables too? What I should do then in any of this cases?

I hope I am able to explain my problem clearly, I can explain more if necessary.
Thank you all for your valuable answers.

Happy New year.

*