st: Does Stata store the name of dta files

From   "Joshua Ruben" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Does Stata store the name of dta files
Date   Thu, 30 Dec 2010 23:21:09 -0500

A common problem I run into with Stata is trying to open dta files that are too big (error r(901)). It's more of an annoyance than a problem. Increasing the memory and loading the data set again solves the problem. I suppose I could also permanently increase the default memory for Stata. But what I'd like to do is add code to my profile that automatically adjusts the memory in Stata when I try to open a dta file so that it fits.

My problem is that I don't know where Stata stores the name of the dta file I'm trying to open. When the file is actually loaded, the file name is automatically saved in the global S_FN. Before that--between double-clicking on the dta file and the file being loaded--Stata opens and runs Is there a way to reference the name of the dta file on which I double-clicked from

Please let me know if my question is at all unclear.

Thanks for the help!