Re: st: RE: Stata's user menu doesn't work

Subject   Re: st: RE: Stata's user menu doesn't work
Date   Tue, 28 Dec 2010 16:51:24 -0500

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Brian P. Poi <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> there is something wrong with the user's menu in Stata 11:
> the demo code from the help file doesn't work and my code that used to work
> before doesn't work anymore.
>
> Here "doesn't work" means that although there is no error message, nothing
> happens to the menu. Running nonsense menu-modifying commands causes the
> expected error messages, so the parsing is definitely being done.
>
> Tried on two different machines with Stata IC, SE and MP for Windows (IC and
> SE updated to most recent released build 702, MP running an older build)
> with same effect.
>
> Stata 10 and 9 installed on the same machine work fine and add submenus and
> items to the user menu.
>
> Example of command that worked in Stata 10 and doesn't work in Stata 11:
>
> window menu append submenu "stUser" "New Menu"
>
> Thank you, Sergiy Radyakin
>
> ----------------------
>
> Sergiy,
>
> I think you need to do a -window menu refresh- in Stata 11 to get the menu
> changes to take effect.  Your example in isolation doesn't work, but this
> does:
>
> . window menu append submenu "stUser" "New Menu"
> . window menu refresh
>

> Brian Poi

Dear Brian,

thank you very much for your response. Indeed the refresh helps,
but it was optional in Stata 9 and 10, and I used to skip it as
redundant, just as a number of other people:

http://www.cgdev.org/files/1422227_file_AIDSCost_manual_FINAL.pdf
http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/t/textEditors.html
http://enoriver.net/index.php/2010/02/26/i-switched-to-vim/

This probably has changed somewhere between 10 and 11,
and I overlooked it.

Thank you, and happy New Year!
Sergiy