Re: st: how to automate sorting and how to automate extracting info from a sort

Subject   Re: st: how to automate sorting and how to automate extracting info from a sort
Date   Wed, 22 Dec 2010 13:54:48 -0500

Hi, Anjanette.

I don't understand why the resulting table is 2 by 865, not 1 by 865.
But see if the following code does what you want (runs in under 6
seconds):

clear all
set matsize 1100
set seed 12345678
set more off
set rmsg on

local r=1000
local c=865

mata st_matrix("M",runiform(`r',`c'))
matrix R=J(1,`c',.)
matrix S=J(1,`c',.)

quietly {
	forvalues i=1/`c' {
	  matrix A=M[1..`r',`i']
	  svmat A
	  sum A1
	  matrix S[1,`i']=r(min)
	  replace A1=. if A1==r(min) // eliminate the smallest
	  sum A1
	  matrix R[1,`i']=r(min) // save the second smallest
	  drop A1
	}
}

display "Smallest:"