Re: st: tricks to speed up -xtmelogit-

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: tricks to speed up -xtmelogit-
Date   Wed, 22 Dec 2010 08:33:15 -0500

There's not really a way to reduce the variables; I took several
thousands of medical diagnosis and procedure codes, classified them
into 500 related groups (according to a published scheme) and
then reduced the 500 to 100 by running 500 linear probability
models and keeping those with the biggest abs(t-value). (100
was arbitrary but turns out that only 1 procedure group and 1
diagnostic group had P > 0.05 in the final model.) The other
variables are categories of age, sex, length of stay, number
of admissions, etc. Anyway, if I drop any of the x's, I would hvae
to re-estimate the "main" model, which means 3 weeks wasted :)

In the end, I have decided to look at only one additional model
and to give it 3 weeks.

cheers,
Jeph