Re: st: Suppress labeling of categorical axis values in graph bar/hbar

From   Roger Newson <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Suppress labeling of categorical axis values in graph bar/hbar
Date   Mon, 20 Dec 2010 17:28:06 +0000

This problem sounds like a possible job for -sencode-, which you can download from SSC. As in:

sencode make, gene(makeprice) gsort(price)

which will produce a new labelled numeric variable -makeprice-, whose numeric values vary from 1 to 74 in non-descending order of -price-, and whose corresponding labels are the string values of -make-. You can then input -makeprice- into -graph bar- or -graph twoway bar-, using the -xlabels()- option to label whatever subset of cars you want to label, if there is not enough room on the axis to label them all. To find outh which number has been allocated to which label, type

lab list nummake

which will list the numbers and their labels.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger B Newson BSc MSc DPhil