st: RE: question : linking results of web queries to data

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: RE: question : linking results of web queries to data
Date   Fri, 17 Dec 2010 10:15:55 -0800

Be wary about using data with names.  The IRB may be upset with this.

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97330
Phone: 541-737-3832
FAX: 541-737-4001

-----Original Message-----
From: [] On Behalf Of László Sándor
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2010 8:50 AM
Subject: st: question : linking results of web queries to data

Hi all,

I need to query a website for some extra data that I would link to my
existing one. I am using Stata 11.1 on Mac and Unix.

My data has names of people, and I should query a site using CGI
( and collect a single
string from the resulting pages into a new variable.

I don't know enough about Perl (etc.) to simply write the right
script, run it with -shell-, and get the data that way. I would
appreciate any guidance (tools, examples) on how this could be done, I
have not found this functionality in (and 'around') Stata so far.

Thank you,

László Sándor
PhD candidate in Economics
Harvard University