A rant loosely related to [Re: st: comparing policies across countries: multilevel estimation?]

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   A rant loosely related to [Re: st: comparing policies across countries: multilevel estimation?]
Date   Thu, 16 Dec 2010 14:40:29 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Thu, 16/12/10, Laura R. wrote:
> doing selection because I assume that is a must with
> employment and wage equations, and worry about multilevel
> later.

That reminds me of one my favourite subjects to rant about:

Each (sub-(sub-(sub-)))discipline has its own issues it
considers to be crucially important while it happily ignores
others. Which issues are ingnored and which not is more often
the result of historical accidents, for example the opinion
of a particularly influential professor long ago, or (a
perceived) common error made at some point in the past of the
discipline. We all have to work within the context of our own
discipline, so it pays to follow these conventions, but one
should not take them too seriously. This becomes particularly
relevant when it comes to comunications across disciplines:
Too often that just breaks down into a shouting match where
each side accuses the other of being scientific idiots because
they ignore problem XYZ (where XYZ differs depending on which
camp one belongs to). The danger for such a situation is
particularly increased when "cookbook-style" statistics
becomes more prominent. In those cases problem XYZ can take
almost magical proportions, and it is hard to have a reasoned
discusion about magic. On the other hand, a sensible
discussion about differences in conventions between disciplines
becomes much easier if one sticks to the basic argument
underlying most empirical research:

I have a question --> I observed stuff --> I summarized it
(= statistics) --> I answered my question (for as far as it
is possible)

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie